CALL FOR TRAINERS OVERVIEW
Going into our 15th year, SAINTCON offers attendees a powerful opportunity to participate with and learn from some of the world's best security professionals. SAINTCON is a casual conference where Government, Education, Public, and Private security and technology experts come together to share and learn the latest security trends/tactics, and information.
The Conference Planning Committee works to build and present a balanced and broad schedule of content at SAINTCON. Our goals are to provide content that appeals to all attendees, while focusing on information security. The most beneficial service we provide are structured trainings for our attendees. In order to fill that demand, we are opening a Call for Trainers.
With an estimated capacity of 600-800 people, SAINTCON is already the largest information security conference is the intermountain-west, but continues to grow in size every year. With this large group of people, we are looking for great trainers and presenters.
SUBMIT A TRAINING PROPOSAL
SAINTCON 2016 Trainings will take place on October 11-14, 2016 at the Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo, Utah. Half-day, Full-day, and Two-day training proposals will be considered. If you are interested in participating in SAINTCON as a trainer, please submit your course by June 17, 2016 at 23:59 MDT.
Types of Trainings
There are two styles of trainings we are asking for:
- Seminar / Instruction - This style of training has limited hands-on requirements. Intended for teaching a specific tool or skill. This style of training usually includes a workbook or other materials used by the students in the class.
- Workshop / Lab - Workshops are designed for the trainer to provide hands-on instruction. It may require that the students need equipment or other materials to participate in the training.
There are three timeslots to choose from:
- Half-day Training - ~3.5 Hours in duration (4 Hours Max)
- Full-day Training - ~7 Hours in duration (8 Hours Max)
- Two-day Training - ~13 Hours in duration (15 Hours Max)
Each training submitted should be structured to fit comfortably within the timeframe selected.
We encourage you to build your training to the timeframe to avoid cramming or stretching content to fit the selected timeslot.
Training Topic Suggestions
We are interested in a wide variety of information security and technology trainings. The following list will provide you with a basic idea of what topics interest us for SAINTCON:
- Internet Privacy, Big Brother
- Physical Security, Lockpicking, Dumpster Diving
- Exploit development, Responsible disclosure, etc.
- Penetration Testing, Red/Blue Team Exercises
- Reverse Engineering
- Denial of Service attacks, mitigation, prevention
- Secure programming and software development
- Web application security
- Building a secure enterprise
- WiFi security, BYOD, IoT
- Hardware Hacking, Smartcard/RFID, Embedded Systems
- Mobile Devices Security, BlueTooth, MDM, Mobile Applications
- Miscreant Trends and Tactics
- Security Methodologies and Best Practices
- Rootkits, Ransomware, Malware, Adware, etc.
- Security Tools Training, Vulnerability Scanners, Data Analytics, etc.
- Systems Hardening, Data Security, OS Security, Network Security
These topics are just ideas. We are willing to consider any and all security and technology related trainings or presentations for SAINTCON 2016. If you have something original, we encourage you to submit it.
SAINTCON is offering the following benefits to trainers who are selected to participate in this years conference:
- Free pass to the SAINTCON 2016 event. (Exclusive Trainer Badge)
- Access to the Trainers/Speaker Lounge. (Free food/drinks available all-day)
- Compensation for providing the training at the conference. (Details sent with the acceptance notice)
- Compensation for each student attending your training. (Details sent with the acceptance notice)
- Travel Costs and Accommodations (covered by SAINTCON*)
- Everlasting Fame and Fortune**
* SAINTCON has limited funding and will choose to cover travel costs based on availability of funds.
** Does not necessarily mean you with receive fame or fortune, and if received may not be everlasting.
The following requirements and obligations apply to trainers selected to participate in SAINTCON 2016:
- Notify SAINTCON immediately if you are unable to attend the conference for any reason.
- Provide all course materials to SAINTCON no later than September 9, 2016. If provided, SAINTCON will pay the cost of printing.
- Trainer assumes the full cost of printing/shipping materials should we not receive materials by Sep 9, 2016.
- Provide SAINTCON a W-9 form for compensation processing.
- Follow the SAINTCON Code of Conduct while training.
- Distribute, collect, and return SAINTCON Training feedback forms from attendees
The following requirements and obligations apply to course materials provided by the trainer:
- Trainer retains all ownership and copyright of course materials, but grants SAINTCON permission to reproduce the such work for creation of course materials for students attending the training.
- Trainer warrants that the provided course material does not violate any copyright or rights of any person or entity, and does not contain information that is unlawful or offensive. (This is determined at SAINTCON's sole discretion.)
The following obligations apply to SAINTCON in regards to approved trainers.
- Promote the Training on SAINTCON media and web presence.
- Provide classrooms provided with: Projection, Internet connection, and Audio enhancement.
- Provide the Trainer with the number of students registered for the training.
- Support Services for Trainers: including Travel assistance, registration, and course material printing.
- Provide feedback from students attending the training.
The following obligations apply to SAINTCON with regards to compensation of trainers.
- Provide payment of all trainer fees and travel reimbursements within 45 days after the event.
- Negotiate directly with each trainer on compensation rates.
- Pay trainers based on the number of paid students in our registration system, not students attending on-site.
To have your training considered for inclusion in SAINTCON, you will be required to submit your proposal to via the online portal. Submissions received via any other method will not be considered.
The submission form requires the following information:
- Trainer contact information and bio
- Training course name
- Maximum Number of Students the training can accommodate
- Full Description/Abstract of the training course, including and special requirements
- Category or Style of Training
- Description of any course materials
Submitting a Proposal
We will only accept training submissions through the official online form system which has been developed for this purpose.
SUBMIT A TRAINING PROPOSAL
Any submission NOT made through the official submission system will not considered by the evaluation team.
April 25, 2016
Call for Trainers ("CFT") Launches
June 17, 2016
Call for Trainers ("CFT") CLOSES
June 20, 2016
Trainings reviewed by selection committee.
July 1, 2016
Training selections announced and schedule posted.
July 8, 2016
Confirmation and Proof of Concept due.
September 9, 2016
Final Speakers Materials Submission to SAINTCON
October 11, 2016
SAINTCON Conference Begins
Important things to consider
- Time Management - Management of time and understanding the duration of your training or presentation is necessary. We ask that you plan on fitting your presentation into the allotted time-slot. Please ensure that you are not cramming or stretching a presentation to fit it into the timeslot. The best talks are the ones that are designed to fit into the time, and allow for 5-10 minutes at the end for questions from the audience.
- Appropriate Content - Choosing appropriate content for your training/presentation is essential. Particularly dark or miscreant focused topics are discouraged. We appreciate EXCLUSIVE content which is new or interesting. Please also ensure that you consider "responsible disclosure" of information prior to presenting it at SAINTCON.
- Language and NSFW content - SAINTCON is an environment where we encourage young hackers and interested individuals to participate. The use of strong language is discouraged. Presenting adult-style content that is Not Safe For Work ("NSFW") is prohibited.
- Materials and Information - The trainer/speaker relationship may be terminated if materials are not submitted when required. You may also be required to provide additional information to us regarding accommodations if necessary.
How to Contact Us
If you have any question regarding the proposal process, or any other aspects of the "Call For..." processes, please contact us:
cft at saintcon dot org